9.09.2012

We are finally HERE!

Yesterday afternoon we (my team and I) landed in our new home! As soon as we stepped off the plane and I saw sweet Dominicans and palm trees, I fell in love with this place! We rented two vans that picked us up from the airport and took us to our hotel. The drive into the city was absolutely gorgeous! I mean, who wouldn't like driving along the coast where there is beautiful blue-green water?!?! I think I'll get used to living in the Caribbean. :)

It is SUPER hot here. As my brother would say, "It's hotter than Haiti out here!" I feel as though I haven't had to adjust too much to the hot weather. I've withstood the hottest of Charleston summers so I'm used to it. I'm sure I have already lost 5 pounds between the sweating and the walking. I have yet to see any rice and beans! So far I have eaten pasta, baked chicken and french fries. Real healthy, I know. Bring on the rice and beans please! Maybe dinner tonight will be my first real Dominican meal.

We went to church today which was so fun! Even though I do not understand a lick of Spanish, these people love Jesus! The music was my favorite part of the service, especially when I could read the words on the screen and sing along (the best I could. Some songs were super fast!) They love to clap and dance as they praise Jesus. I LOVE IT! The pastor of the church is also the Campus Crusade National Director in the DR. He invited us on stage and we introduced ourselves and they welcomed us.

We have found apartments!!!! Praise the Lord!! We will all be staying in the same complex which is a huge praise and they are relatively nice. Once we move in I'll post some pictures. Tomorrow we will meet with the lawyer and sign our contracts. We are so ready to move in and get settled! We will spend a few hours on campus tomorrow and meet some students!

That's all I have for now! So thankful our hotel has wifi! :)


Adios,
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are safely "home." We love you much. Cecile

    ReplyDelete