2.05.2013

Dang it, dengue!

Have you ever planned something really exciting, knowing that it is straight from the Lord and then having your plans interrupted by visits to the hospital, which is also in some way of the Lord?

That has happened to our team recently.

First, sweet little two year old Elianna went to the ER after eating 20+ Tums. Not good for a tiny toddler. She ended up being perfectly fine after having her stomach pumped. Eww.

Then a few days later, the same sweet little two year old somehow ate a piece of a glass thermometer from the hospital. Stomach pump #2. Again, ewww.

We are praying that Elianna (and Annabel, her 4 year old sister) has learned her lesson and only eats food from now on.

A few days after that, Karly got some sort of stomach flu/food poisoning/grossness. She pretty much vomited for 12 hours straight. She was a little dehydrated so she went to the hospital to get an IV of fluids pumped into her body.

In the meantime, I'm worried that I'm going to catch whatever Karly had. We all ate the same thing so I was stressed out about it. The day after she was sick, I began having chills and a lot of pain in my back. I thought it was just stress and I needed to sleep it off. The next morning I woke up with a fever of 102, more back pain and pain behind my eyes. Awesome. I thought it was just a sinus infection so I tried to sleep it off. The fever kept going up and down the entire day. Went to bed with a fever of 102.5.

The next morning, my fever was 101 and I decided that I should probably go to the hospital to see what is going on with my body.

After a few hours of being hooked up to an IV for fluids, the nurse ordered me to get a blood test the next day. So, I went to a lab, got my blood taken, and waited for what seemed like forever to get the results.

The next day, got my blood test results back and tested positive for Dengue Fever and had to be admitted into the hospital. My white blood cell count and platelets were really low.

From Wikipedia: Dengue fever, also known as breakbone fever, is an infectious tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include feverheadachemuscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles


Dengue fever is spread by mosquitoes. 


I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights with fluids and pain killers running through my veins. Doctora Alegre (yes, her name is Dr. Happy!) couldn't believe how well my body was ridding itself of the virus. Usually your liver inflames, your stomach hurts and you vomit, and I didn't have any of that. Praise the Lord! I do believe it was all the people praying for me to get well. That's the only thing we could tell the doctor. Jesus is Healer. 


I missed an entire week on campus, but had about 15 students come see me at the hospital after a weekly meeting. Doctor Alegre wasn't too happy about that, but I enjoyed seeing everyone. 


I am so thankful to be out of the hospital and I am slowly regaining my strength and hope to be back on campus by the end of the week (at least for a few hours!). I have another blood test on Monday to see how well my liver is doing; the results from yesterday weren't what the doctor wanted. Other than being tired, I feel fine.


Thanks to all of you who have been praying for me! Please continue to pray for me as well as my team. We feel as though what we have been through in the past couple of weeks is spiritual warfare. We have exciting things planned for this semester to help grow the movement here, but the enemy doesn't like it. But we know that God will use all of this for His glory! 


Gloria a Dios, 

Shannon 

No comments:

Post a Comment